About The Chapslee Experience
Chapslee House Shimla, was built in 1830 by the British, and purchased by Raja Charanjit Singh of Kapurthala in 1938, who turned it into his summer residence. Chapslee now serves as the residence of Kanwar Ratanjit Singh, and a remarkable luxury heritage homestay.
One of the last remnants of Shimla’s iconic heritage, a stay at Chapslee is the closest one can get to experiencing the regal lifestyle maintained by royalty of yore.
The main building is surrounded by greenery, open spaces, greenhouses and charming outdoor seating areas. The structure itself sports stone masonry, French windows, slanted roofs and a strategically placed chimney or two. Seemingly straight out of a Jane Austen novel, the beauty of Chapslee is underscored by the sheer contrast of today’s Shimla.
Step inside and the vestige of reality vanishes instantly. But for your awareness of the world outside, you could very well be living in the early 1900s.
You are surrounded by warmth of faded wallpaper, polished wooden flooring, opulent fabrics, exquisitely detailed furniture, and a seemingly endless number of paintings, ornaments, curios and antiquities punctuating the beautiful prose that is the house.
On offer are five elegantly appointed suites for your stay. A lot of it though, will be spent soaking the hospitality and atmosphere in the extravagantly sensuous common areas.
An experience as exquisite as this wouldn’t be complete without gourmet delicacies, and The Chapslee Experience doesn’t disappoint with its hallmark cuisine of the Royal House of Kapurthala.
A highly personalised service experience replete with old world, old school standards of service is de rigueur.
As is the delight of those who visit.
The Chapslee Experience – Highlights
Absolutely gorgeous, Chapslee is an aesthetically moving experience. Outside and within.
Terraced gardens, a tennis court and romantic nooks around the place. If you’re aware of the sport, you can play a game of croquet too!
The common areas. The Hall, the Gold Room, the formal drawing room, the library cum card room, the dining room and the conservatory. All unique, and each one perfect for a certain time of the day.
Tip: If it’s raining, go sit in the conservatory and read a book. An experience you’ll cherish for life.
An ambience of finesse hangs in the air. Part a product of the setting and part emanating from the uncompromising excellence in service. The staff is courteous, soft footed and well versed with the service protocols for the well heeled.
Then there are the little things. The fireplaces with log fires to keep you toasty. The use of fine bone-china and cut crystal. The bells to call room service. It’s is an other world altogether.
Chapslee – Location
- Chapslee is 114 kms from Chandigarh, a three and a half hour drive.
- The broad gauge rail link ends at Kalka, from where the narrow gauge line to Shimla begins. The “toy train” takes five and a half hours to reach Shimla, but the UNESCO World Heritage Site is well worth the time. The scenes are beautiful and the train goes through 103 tunnels!
- Chapslee is 20 minutes from the city center, which has both the bus and train stations.
Chapslee – Room Types
The guests can decide between five elegantly appointed suites.
The Luxury Suite
The Deluxe Suite
The Red Suite
The Pink Suite
The Yellow Suite
The Chapslee Experience – Activities
For the outdoorsy:
- Walks: To Potter’s Hill through Summer Hill, to Glen passing by Gorton Castle, to Chhota Shimla and back, the walk to Jakkhu Top.
- Drives: Kufri – Fagu – Bekhalty – Naldehra, Shimla – Tattapani (hot sulphur springs), Shimla – Narkanda.
- Horse Rides: 17 kms country road stretch from Mashobra to Bekhalty
- Golf: At the Naldehra Golf Course
- The Jalori Pass Trek
- Trout Fishing in Tirthan Valley
For the laid back:
Stay in-house with a good book or learn more about the history of Shimla from the hosts.
The Chapslee Experience – Travel Tips
- Any time of the year is great to visit. However it gets pretty cold during the winters.
- The rainy season is one of the best times to visit Shimla. Verdant greens and lesser crowds.
- Other popular hill stations you can tie-in with your visit to Chapslee are Manali (247 kms – an overnight journey, stay at Shivadya Resort), Dharmshala (247 kms – an overnight journey, stay at Rakkh Resort) and Sangla Valley (240 kms – one day’s scenic drive)